On Jun 13, 2012, at 10:33 AM, Tim Gray wrote:

> On Jun 13, 2012 at 10:00 AM -0400, Eric Weir wrote:
>> Thanks for the clarification, Tim. I'm attaching a screenshot of my ~\.vim
>> folders with all the folders open. It does not appear to me that I have the
>> executable. All I see are remnants of plugins. [Including something that I
>> suspect is the source of apparent conflicts regarding the current
>> installation of a plugin in vim-addon-manager.]

> The screenshot didn't come through.  Unless I'm mistaken, vim-addon-manager
> should be installing plugins in your ~/.vim folder.  Even though you are
> using MacVim.  I use MacVim and regular vim (on my Mac and Linux) and they
> all share the same .vimrc and .vim folder.

Thanks again, Tim. Sorry about the screenshot. I would've followed up when I
realized it, but the description says it all. Only remnants of plugins from
when I was installing them manually.

You can tweak where vim-addon-manager installs plugins---and is itself
installed. I have mine going into ~\.

>> Until now I'd been under the impression that MacVim was just a front end
>> that uses the files in the ~\.vim folder. Inspecting the contents of the
>> MacVim package led me to suspect that in fact the vim files, executables and
>> all, are in it. That the folders in ~\vim are superfluous.
>
> That impression is incorrect.  The vim executable on Mac can be store
> anywhere as long as you call it correctly..  The vim that comes package with
> OS X lives in /usr/bin/vim.  If you install your own copy of the command line
> version, it probably lives at /usr/local/bin/vim.  MacVim lives in
> /Applications.  I don't know if you know this or not, but GUI applications in
> OS X are actually folders.  Inside of the MacVim app folder is an honest to
> god, regular old command line version of vim.  It's here:
> /Applications/MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim.  You can call that from the
> command line.  I do it everyday, and am doing it to write this email.  That's
> the executable or binary or application.

Yes, it was taking a closer look at the MacVim package than had previously that
led me to ask whether I needed a separate installation. It appears I don't. In
any case I don't have it. It's not in \usr\local\bin.

> Now that we got that out of the way, we can move onto the second point.  Vim
> uses two (possibly more?) sets of configuration files and plugins.  The first
> set is usually bundled with the program.  For the command line version, this
> might be /usr/local/share/vim/vim73/, or /usr/share/vim/vim73, etc.  For
> MacVim, it's /Applications/MacVim.app/Contents/Resources/vim/runtime.  These
> files are not the same as the ones that live in ~/.vim.  The second set of
> configuration files/plugins are your config files.  The per-user files.
> These are stored in ~, and include .vimrc and your .vim folder.  MacVim and
> the command line versions of vim should both refer to these files when you
> use those programs.

Again, it was looking at that runtime folder that made me realize there was
more to vim than I was seeing in my ~\.vim folder.

> To be explicit, the command line version of vim never lives in ~/.vim.
> MacVim is not a 'front end' for ~/.vim, and neither is CLI vim.  ~/.vim is
> not superfluous for MacVim.

I take it, reasons for running the command line version aside, that would not
be true if all my plugins are installed by vim-addon-manager?

> Again, unless vim-addon-manager is doing something I'm not aware of, it's
> probably installing your plugins in the .vim folder.  Many plugin managers
> use ~/.vim/bundle, but it looks like vim-addon-manager defaults to
> ~/.vim/vim-addons.

Yes, that's the default. But you can change it, and I have.

And thanks again for the detailed explanations.

Sincerely,
Eric Weir
Decatur, GA
eew...@bellsouth.net

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone,
men would die from a great loneliness of spirit."

- Chief Seattle