On 13/06/12 11:49, Eric Weir wrote:

Somehow, when I was getting started with vim, I ended up with a vim
installation to ~\ and a MacVim installation in \Applications. Before I
started using vim-addon-manager I installed plugins to the vim
installation.

If I'm using MacVim, do I actually need the separate vim installation?
If not, and if I had reason to do a manual installation of a
plugin---not very likely, but I'm curious---where would I put it?

Thanks,
Eric Weir

"With an ounce of willingness, everything can change."

- Kim

MacVim is a Mac OS X application and follows all the Mac conventions. Console Vim is a Unix application with no GUI. You can have both if you want to use Vim sometimes as a freestanding GUI and sometimes inside Terminal. You don't "need" both, you "can" even make do without Vim altogether, but depending on your workflow, you might "prefer" having one, or the other, or both.

If you wanted to install a plugin manually… Let's assume a global plugin (the directory would be slightly different for a syntax plugin, a filetype plugin, a keymap, a colorscheme, etc.). In each installation of Vim (i.e., in Console Vim and/or in MacVim and/or, if you have it, in gvim for X11 GUI), type the following:

        :echo fnamemodify(expand("$HOME/.vim/plugin"),":p")
        :echo fnamemodify(expand("$VIM/vimfiles/plugin"),":p")

This ought to give you for each Vim application two of the directories (one a function of your login name and the other not) which it searches for global plugins (for a different kind of plugin, only the last directory in the path is different). Write the results down and compare them. If you can use a common location for all Vim flavours, so much the better.

WARNING: I never used a Mac, I was first on Windows and now on Linux, so maybe there are differences of which I'm not aware between Vim on Mac and Vim on other platforms. Maybe someone more familiar with the Mac than I am should chime in.

Best regards,
Tony.
--
Her locks an ancient lady gave
Her loving husband's life to save;

But to our modern married fair,
Who'd give their lords to save their hair,
No stellar recognition's given.
There are not stars enough in heaven.