On Jun 13, 2012, at 10:04 AM, Tony Mechelynck wrote:

> MacVim is a Mac OS X application and follows all the Mac conventions. Console
> Vim is a Unix application with no GUI. You can have both if you want to use
> Vim sometimes as a freestanding GUI and sometimes inside Terminal. You don't
> "need" both, you "can" even make do without Vim altogether, but depending on
> your workflow, you might "prefer" having one, or the other, or both.
>
> If you wanted to install a plugin manually… Let's assume a global plugin (the
> directory would be slightly different for a syntax plugin, a filetype plugin,
> a keymap, a colorscheme, etc.). In each installation of Vim (i.e., in Console
> Vim and/or in MacVim and/or, if you have it, in gvim for X11 GUI), type the
> following:
>
>       :echo fnamemodify(expand("$HOME/.vim/plugin"),":p")
>       :echo fnamemodify(expand("$VIM/vimfiles/plugin"),":p")
>
> This ought to give you for each Vim application two of the directories (one a
> function of your login name and the other not) which it searches for global
> plugins (for a different kind of plugin, only the last directory in the path
> is different). Write the results down and compare them. If you can use a
> common location for all Vim flavours, so much the better.

Thanks for the clarification, Tony. So, two reason for having a separate
installation of vim: So I could run it in the terminal if I wanted to.
[Attempting to do so earlier today generated a list of errors that helped me
locate the source of a problem that was preventing my plugins from loading.]
And so I could do a manual install of a plugin if I never needed to.

Thanks, to, for the method for determining where to install plugins, if I want
to do a manual install.

Sincerely,
Eric Weir
eew...@bellsouth.net

"Any assurance economists pretend to with
regard to cause and effect is merely a pose."

- Emanuel Derman