On Jun 13, 2012 at 10:00 AM -0400, Eric Weir wrote:
Thanks for the clarification, Tim. I'm attaching a screenshot of my ~\.vim folders with all the folders open. It does not appear to me that I have the executable. All I see are remnants of plugins. [Including something that I suspect is the source of apparent conflicts regarding the current installation of a plugin in vim-addon-manager.]

The screenshot didn't come through. Unless I'm mistaken, vim-addon-manager should be installing plugins in your ~/.vim folder. Even though you are using MacVim. I use MacVim and regular vim (on my Mac and Linux) and they all share the same .vimrc and .vim folder.

Until now I'd been under the impression that MacVim was just a front end that uses the files in the ~\.vim folder. Inspecting the contents of the MacVim package led me to suspect that in fact the vim files, executables and all, are in it. That the folders in ~\vim are superfluous.

That impression is incorrect. The vim executable on Mac can be store anywhere as long as you call it correctly.. The vim that comes package with OS X lives in /usr/bin/vim. If you install your own copy of the command line version, it probably lives at /usr/local/bin/vim. MacVim lives in /Applications. I don't know if you know this or not, but GUI applications in OS X are actually folders. Inside of the MacVim app folder is an honest to god, regular old command line version of vim. It's here: /Applications/MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim. You can call that from the command line. I do it everyday, and am doing it to write this email. That's the executable or binary or application.

Now that we got that out of the way, we can move onto the second point. Vim uses two (possibly more?) sets of configuration files and plugins. The first set is usually bundled with the program. For the command line version, this might be /usr/local/share/vim/vim73/, or /usr/share/vim/vim73, etc. For MacVim, it's /Applications/MacVim.app/Contents/Resources/vim/runtime. These files are not the same as the ones that live in ~/.vim. The second set of configuration files/plugins are your config files. The per-user files. These are stored in ~, and include .vimrc and your .vim folder. MacVim and the command line versions of vim should both refer to these files when you use those programs.

To be explicit, the command line version of vim never lives in ~/.vim. MacVim is not a 'front end' for ~/.vim, and neither is CLI vim. ~/.vim is not superfluous for MacVim.

As indicated above, I use vim-addon-manager. I'll hang onto the ~\.vim folders in case for some reason I may want to do a manual install of a plugin.

Again, unless vim-addon-manager is doing something I'm not aware of, it's probably installing your plugins in the .vim folder. Many plugin managers use ~/.vim/bundle, but it looks like vim-addon-manager defaults to ~/.vim/vim-addons.