On Jun 13, 2012, at 8:20 AM, Tim Gray wrote:

> On Jun 13, 2012 at 05:49 AM -0400, Eric Weir wrote:
>> Somehow, when I was getting started with vim, I ended up with a vim
>> installation to ~\ and a MacVim installation in \Applications. Before I
>> started using vim-addon-manager I installed plugins to the vim installation.
>
> Do you have a Vim installation in ~/, or do you have your .vimrc and related
> files in ~/?  They are two separate thigns.  By the former, I mean the actual
> executable binary.  If you have that, no, you don't need it.  If it's the
> latter (.vimrc, plugins, etc.), yes that's where MacVim expects to find that
> stuff.  All versions of vim are going to look in your home folder (~/) for
> configuration files, in addition to some other locations relevant for side
> wide configuration.  But you should most likely stick with the home folder
> spot.

Thanks for the clarification, Tim. I'm attaching a screenshot of my ~\.vim
folders with all the folders open. It does not appear to me that I have the
executable. All I see are remnants of plugins. [Including something that I
suspect is the source of apparent conflicts regarding the current installation
of a plugin in vim-addon-manager.]

Until now I'd been under the impression that MacVim was just a front end that
uses the files in the ~\.vim folder. Inspecting the contents of the MacVim
package led me to suspect that in fact the vim files, executables and all, are
in it. That the folders in ~\vim are superfluous.

And yes, my .vimrc is in ~\. I'm very clear that it's needed and that that's
where it belongs.

>> If I'm using MacVim, do I actually need the separate vim installation? If
>> not, and if I had reason to do a manual installation of a plugin---not very
>> likely, but I'm curious---where would I put it?
>
> You would put it in ~/.vim/bundle if using any of the plugin managers that
> expect to find plugins in the bundle folder.  If not using any plugin
> managers at all, not even pathogen, then you still put the files in ~/.vim,
> just distributed amongst the appropriate folders in ~/.vim, like
> ~/.vim/plugin, ~/.vim/syntax, etc.

As indicated above, I use vim-addon-manager. I'll hang onto the ~\.vim folders
in case for some reason I may want to do a manual install of a plugin.

Thanks again.

Sincerely,
Eric Weir
Decatur, GA  USA
eew...@bellsouth.net

"Imagining the other is a powerful antidote to fanaticism and hatred."

- Amos Oz