Keith,

Have you seen or heard of electrolytic capacitors on pre-SE/30 compact Macs
leaking? These would all be through-hole capacitors, which hold up quite
well compared to SMD ones. Apple didn't switch to SMD caps on compact Macs
until the SE/30. The general consensus on earlier compact Macs is to leave
the caps alone unless there is a (rare) problem (e.g smell a fishy smell).
Of course, they can and will die eventually, and leak their fluid. It's
just not common.

*Much* more common is the battery leaking, and you noted that problem.
That's my vote. Or if it's a Plus or has any kind of internal upgrade, the
SIMMs or upgrade board may be loose.

Best,
Jerri