Neil,
I completely agree with you that finding what is causing the problem
should help the cause and it would be really nice to be able to
confirm that it is a speech rate issue. I keep my speech rate at 45%,
not because I do not want it faster, but because I can live with 45%
and have come to strongly believe that faster rates subject us to more
usability issues than just adjusting to a lower speed. I have limited
myself to 45% for that reason and choose not to get accustomed to a
higher speech rate on IOS for the reasons stated above and because it
is so much harder to accept a lower rate once you have gotten use to a
higher one. I do experience the issue, but so far it has not been to
near the extent that others describe in frequency and savarity. So far
mine does not happen all that frequently and so far has not been for
60 to 90 seconds on any regular occasion. Once it really seemed like a
long time, but I still don't think that long. 60 to 90 seconds is a
very long time when you are waiting to do something, especially when
interacting with an interface. I don't even think it takes the banking
machine tipically that long to process your transaction and spit out
your cash and that is a lengthy process.

Jim