Hello Cheryl,

The solution I came up with is far beyond the scope of this list.

All I can say is:

1.
Many people do not realize the power of the Windows Registry.  More often than
not, the reason why an application will or won't do something is because of
various switches/arguments either being enabled or disabled in the Registry.

2.
I strongly recommend against anyone manually configuring the Windows Registry
as doing so, especially in XP, usually results in either disaster or unexpected
consequences.

Finally, even after almost 15 years of dealing with the Registry, I only edit
it as a last resort before wiping my system clean.  The Windows Registry is not
for the novice or, for that matter, even for the intermediate user, and that's
putting it nicely (smile).

So, again I urge you to just leave things as they are and, as Christopher
suggested, accepts that sooner or later, you will have to update to a later
version of iTunes/Windows in order to synchronize up-to-date iOS devices.

Mark