No, the advantages do not justify the price unless you are on some sort of plan
already where you pay for getting upgrades each year. Of course those on such
plans do ultimately pay for the privilege. Keep in mind that if you upgrade
especially a Plus-size model you also will need to buy a new case or cases
depending on what you like since the 7 Plus needs a much larger camera cut-out
to accommodate the dual lens camera. Then of course you will most likely want
to buy that Belkin adapter which allows you to use a headset and charge at the
same time and very quickly you need to add another $100 to your upgrade price
for these accessories. You may say that ultimately the Lightning splitter is
something you have to buy anyways and maybe the new case, but I would not at
all be surprised if Apple’s 10th Anniversary iPhone next year had wireless
charging which of course means you could easily charge and use the Lightning
headset since you wouldn’t really need the Lightning port for charging unless
you wanted to plug it in because you are travelling or on the go and have a
Lightning cable but not the wireless charging mat or dock or whatever apple
comes up with.

By upgrading you get a minor speed increase which you will most likely rarely
notice in real-life applications, you do get full waterproofness which I think
is one of the main features why one might want to upgrade and you get the
better camera. You also get a somewhat improved battery life. I have a 6S Plus
and while I like my gadgets I just can’t talk myself into upgrading especially
since I much rather spend the money on an Apple Watch, I also really want the
new Airpods when they come out in the near future and am in the process of
buying a new washer and dryer so I guess it comes down to priorities.