I am in Canada where Hulu is not available, but I can definitely recommend
contacting the company directly and via social media, if a couple of dozen
people twee them and post on Facebook how accessibility for the visually
impaired is now broken it will probably most effective. We all have seen
examples of how powerful social media can be.
As for the question how sometimes companies who have an accessible app at first
later on release an update which breaks accessibility there is only one answer:
these companies do not understand or care about accessibility. One great
example where a company has understood accessibility and continues to
understand it is Sonos. When I first bought some Sonos players (that is Sonos,
the multi-room wireless music system) the app was useable, but far from fully
accessible with lots of unlabelled buttons and some areas which didn't work for
a blind user. Sonos is also a great example for what can happen if people are
persistent in lobbying for better accessibility. I hounded them pretty
relentlessly, but was by no means the only one and certainly don't claim I'm
responsible for their change in attitude. In any case, I bought my first Sonos
stuff in 2009 and I think it was in 2012 (hard to believe it's been 5 years)
Sonos suddenly reached out to me and some of the others who requested
improvements in accessibility to beta test a new version with Voiceover
improvements. I have been beta testing Sonos ever since and inside a very short
time the app was made fully accessible and all the many updates maintained that
high standard of accessibility. At one point a feature called "TruePlay" which
allows you to use your iPhones microphone to "tune" the sound of certain Sonos
players was not accessible, but that was relatively short lived and it also was
made accessible.
Hopefully some dedicated people will find ways to contact Hulu which will
matter, calling their support line is of course fine, but in my experience is
probably one of the least effective ways to communicate these issues because
most companies are outsourcing their customer support to call centres in th
Philippines, India and other countries and these call centre agents at best can
log these calls, but I sometimes doubt they ever find their way to the people
who are really in charge of what needs to be improved. As Mark Taylor has
sometimes pointed out, it can still be very effective to try and find out who
the CEO is and to find out the address of their HQ and to then write a good old
fashioned letter and spend a few Dollars to mail it as a double registered
letter which means somebody at the company has to sign for it.
In the case of Sonos who still has phone support in the US at their main office
I called so often until somebody passed me on to a supervisor who ended up
giving me the direct email of the person in charge of app development. I
communicated with that guy a fair bit over the years and only if you manage to
reach out to people higher up you will really accomplish something. This of
course means that you need to be professional, friendly, objective and
persistent. If you go on a rant about how it should be a given that the app
should be accessibility and you threaten with a law suit or something like that
you are not likely to be taken seriously and of course few of us can afford to
hire a lawyer and really go that route which these companies of course know.