Lately there has been some frustration expressed on this list about
accessibility and ease of use of Apple products. I hope that what I have to
say here will help some put this in perspective.

I bought an iPod for Christmas for my sighted husband. Because we are
traveling for Christmas I gave it to him  last evening.  He has never used
an iPhone and while bright, techy stuff is not his priority.  I loaded onto
it our entire digitized music collection plus his almost 1,500 digital
photos, and a few apps I thought he'd like.  As I  showed him how to use it
I  had one of those ahah! Moments.  I was saying things like, "That bottom
row is called the doc" and "there's a download button up there on the right"
and "tap play list on the bottom."

As far as I know the iPhone is one of the few products that is not only
accessible, but we have a fairly accurate picture of the location of items
on the screen.  Perhaps it's due to my technological inferiority but I know
that when he and I navigate a web page together in Internet Explorer I don't
have a good picture of what is where from his perspective and he doesn't
understand mine either. To say that he was impressed with my newfound
orientation to the screen is an understatement. I bought that iPod, showed
my stepson how to activate VO  and then took it over and set it up myself.
To me this is very powerful stuff.

Apple isn't perfect and I got frustrated just the other day figuring out how
to enter all of my trips into Flight Few, but we've come a very long way
from my college years with a slate and stylus, Braille writer, four-track,
reel-to-reel tape recorder and portable typewriter.

Sandy