Hi Robert, what's happening here is that VoiceOver is trying to detect
the language of the text it's displaying, and switch to the
appropriate voice automatically. As Esther said, this is the behaviour
when "default language" is selected in the language rotor.

Sometimes, though, it fails to give you the results you expect. This
would happen if, say, a web page author used incorrect markup for some
content. For example, I read a Canadian mobile news Blog that
incorrectly marks articles as French when really they are in English.
The result is that VoiceOver switches to a French voice, which is not
what I want.

The solution is to force VO to a specific language, which you can do
by choosing it in the language rotor. Think of "default language" as
"try to automatically detect languages." When that fails, force it to
a specific language using the rotor, and know that what you're doing
essentially, is turning off VoiceOver's automatic language tetection.