Most likely, the biggest problem with maps on the device verses online is
licensing fees. Companies need to pay the map provider a fee per use. When the
map is downloaded onto the iDevice, it counts as one continuous, ongoing use.
When a person accesses the map online, the use is only counted whilst the map
is being accessed. So, the company merely needs to pay for the maximum
simultaneous uses, a significantly smaller number. Also, if the data being
accessed is just a part of the total available data, the fees are even lower.

David Chittenden, MSc, MRCAA
Email: dchitten...@gmail.com
Mobile: +64 21 2288 288
Sent from my iPhone