I did a quick search on Google, and apparently the near consensus is that the 'i' originally stood for internet and that the iMac was the first product to carry this brand. Afterwards, it became a branding/marketing statement and applied to devices that didn't necessarily include the internet connectivity. Consequently, the meaning of the 'i' was broadened somewhat.

As I said, almost every web page I found in the quick Google search I did had the same story. This page http://www.irisclasson.com/2013/02/10/stupid-question-147-what-does-the-lowercase-letter-i-in-iphone-stand-for/ said the following and was pretty indicative: