One more thing to add to the below excellent post is that if you happen to be
jailbroken, there is a tweak called update Hider which can be used to hide
updates from individual apps. When this tweak is used and individual apps are
hidden from updates, then you can use the update all feature from the app store
directly from the iPhone. However in all cases when you have an app which is
older and you do not want to update it, you cannot use the update all future
from iTunes itself because that will override the older app with the new. I
always keep a folder called mobile application.old where I put older versions
of apps which I know work well. This way when I see an app update involving an
app that I use a lot and whose interface is important to me, I will go and copy
it to this old folder and that way I have the option of reinstalling it in case
the newer update is no good.

---
Sent from Raul's iPhone - (832) 554-7285. Please excuse any dictation or auto
complete errors.