Well, I'd go with wikipedia over advertising myself. I'd also scour any advertising information I was reviewing to make sure I was getting what I thought I was getting. BTW, my understanding of head set predates anything I read on wikipedia and goes back to the days when I was getting wired head sets to use with my telephone or the VOIP software on my PC.

I also don't think you necessarily have to give up any quality on a stereo head set over a stereo pair of head phones. There's no reason the same audio technology can't be included in both. Another way to put it, is that you don't have to sacrifice audio quality when you include a mike or controls on the head set.

On 05/20/2013 12:18 PM, Alan Paganelli wrote:
I would say they have it wrong then.  Looking at the advertising, it
suggest the way I was talking about.

    ----- Original Message -----
    *From:* Christopher Chaltain <mailto:chalt...@gmail.com>
    *To:* viphone@googlegroups.com <mailto:viphone@googlegroups.com>
    *Sent:* Sunday, May 19, 2013 4:42 PM
    *Subject:* Re: lost my Plantronics M50

    Where do you get these definitions of ear pieces and headsets? I ask
    because they differ from my understanding. A headset are headphones
    that
    include a mike and allow for hands free operation, whether this be for
    one ear or both. This is also what wikipedia says is meant by a headset
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headset_%28audio%29

    Sounds like when you're listening to music, you're using a pair of
    stereo headphones and not a headset.

    Either way, I think the understandings here are nebulous enough that
    people should just be clear about what they're talking about and what
    they're asking about.

    On 05/19/2013 11:03 AM, Alan Paganelli wrote:
     > It sounds to me like allot of people are misunderstanding the
     > differences between an ear peace and a head set.  An ear peace is for
     > making and answering phone calls. A head set is for listening to
    music
     > but may also answer phone calls.
     > If I want to listen to music, I use a head set with no mike.  I'm
     > sitting down, laying down etc.  The reason is I'm listening to
    music and
     > not out on the streets walking around. When I am, I use a
    Bluetooth ear