  From: Alan Paganelli
  To: viphone@googlegroups.com
  Sent: Saturday, May 25, 2013 12:36 PM
  Subject: Re: NLS Update on Talking Book App

  Chuck, the sad thing is, I can remember when Talking books came on a 12 inch
record and they played at 33 and a third RPMs and was ticked off when they went
to 10 inch records at 16 RPMs and then all that new-fangled cassettes thing on
2 tracks.  That wasn't good enough though for them,  They then had to go from 2
track to 4 tracks and then they went a step farther and cut playback speed in
half.  They said quality wouldn't suffer but they were wrong.  It did.  The
best thing to happen to talking books was they went digital.  Sound quality
went up greatly if you were listening to a new recording but then trouble
struck again with budget cuts.  Far fewer new books were being recorded and
they started emptying out the tape libraries and digitizing those along with
some restorazations of older books on record.  Still, the best sounding
recordings come from new books being recording for the first time.