I charge my phone over night and usually have to charge it in the evening, too.
I use my phone a lot, for news, weather, reading books, and listening to tv and
music. I find that if I use the charger that came with my iPad, it charges
quicker.
BTW, I have seen no ill effects from leaving the phone on the charger. It just
runs on AC power.

Chuck (mobile)
Pleez x cuze any tie ping or spelin airors.