Hi Jeff,

The Sonus SWe is basically just the Sonus 5xxx SBC software. It looks and functions identically. We use quite a few of the 5210 SBCs and used the SWe for some small testing prior to hardware purchase for some projects. I think it basically comes down to whether you need hardware DSPs for transcoding/ringback or not. The platform is pretty solid and easy to configure and can use a couple different versions of on-board policy database or connect to a centralized PSX policy platform for profiles and routing decisions across all your gateways.

One thing to consider with Sonus is that they have now merged with Genband (as opposed to Genband completely taking them over like other platforms in our space) and are now calling themselves Ribbon. I don't know what genius came up with that name. So far our support hasn't changed other than company names/email addresses/support portal, but I've been on the Genband takeover train before with Iperia and Nortel and am iffy about the support future.