Jones, we DO know that there is a large imbalance in the distribution of
7Li in the ash.  Look at the difference between the SIMS results which
provide isotopic analysis of the material near the surface, and the results
of ICP-MS which is a bulk analysis of the particle.  The surface shows
change of 7Li from 92% in fuel to 8% in ash, with the 6Li going from 8% in
fuel to 92% in the ash.  The ICP-MS bulk analysis shows that the overall
fuel particle had 94% 7Li and 6% 6Li in the fuel going to 58% 7Li and 42%
6Li in the ash.  Clearly there is much more change of 7Li / 6Li on the
surface than in the overall bulk.  Whatever is happening to the Li isotopes
is happening at an apparent greater rate at the surface of the particle.

Since the reaction is likely to occurring in a thin liquid LiH-Al alloy
film whetted to the surface of a Ni particle, it is logical to assume the
reaction may be occurring at the liquid interface to the Ni particle.  Yet
it is the solidified composite surface that shows the greatest depletion of
the 7Li.  Could the 6Li stratify to the surface during the high temperature
liquid phase of the film, owing to some physical difference between 6Li and
7Li (for example liquid density of 6LiH vs 7LiH)?

I am not questioning that the isotopic ratio is changing, only that the
change appears bigger at the surface than in the particle as a whole.

Bob