Piantelli's theory says that H- anions are responsible for the Ni-H LENR
reaction.  According to his theory, the H- anion, as a composite fermion,
enters the Ni atom much as would a muon.  Somehow (and Piantelli doesn't
say how) the large H- anion must become a compact negatively charged object
(like a DDL state) and have a tiny orbital around the Ni nucleus.  The
resulting proximity of the H- anion to the Ni nucleus causes a nuclear
reaction with a number of branches.  Piantelli has measured 6 MeV protons
exiting the reaction as one of the branches, and various
transmutation/isotopic shifts of the large Ni nucleus.  Thus, high energy
protons come from one of the branches of this reaction.

Note that LiH is an ionic hydride, and the hydrogen in the liquid hydride
exists as hydrogen anions, H-.