It would not be fair to criticize the Lugano team for not measuring the gas
in their experiment.  Rossi lent them a reactor that was not designed for
sampling the product gas.  After the experiment, the seal had to be "broken
open" (there are various descriptions of how this happened).  To have
measured the gas left in the reactor at the end, the whole reactor would
have to be placed in a large ulta-high vacuum system with mechanical
feedthru attachments designed to break the seal on the reactor while inside
the UHV.  This would have been a large undertaking.  Having viewed their
setup, it was probably considerably out of their budget and scope.

On the other hand, the Parkhomov-like experiments, particularly with the
way MFMP has modified the seals, is well suited for gas sampling.  It is
highly desirable to sample the gas while the reactor is still hot and
before much of the hydrogen (isotope) gas can be re-absorbed into the metal
as LiH.  This is in my experimental plan.

Historically, credibly measuring He in the electrolytic PdD experiments was
hard - you have to prove it could not have come from atmospheric
contamination.  When the experiment is performed in high alumina reactor
tubes, as Alan Goldwater has shown, the gas pressure can be quite high
-200-600 PSI.  When sampled, the resulting pressure in the sample vessel
will be less than in the reaction tube due to the volume of the sample
container, but the sample pressure could easily be in the 30-100 PSI
range.  Finding a measurable percentage of the sample gas to be He could
confidently be determined to be a reaction product rather than
contamination due to the higher pressure of the sample container which
could not have been produced from atmospheric contamination.

Bob Higgins