More...

First, they teleported photons, then atoms and ions. Now one physicist has
worked out how to do it with energy, a technique that has profound
implications for the future of physics.

In 1993, Charlie Bennett at IBM’s Watson Research Center in New York State
and a few pals showed how to transmit quantum information from one point in
space to another without traversing the intervening space.

The technique relies on the strange quantum phenomenon called entanglement,
in which two particles share the same existence. This deep connection means
that a measurement on one particle immediately influences the other, even
though they are light-years apart. Bennett and company worked out how to
exploit this to send information. (The influence between the particles may
be immediate, but the process does not violate relativity because some
informatiom has to be sent classically at the speed of light.) They called
the technique teleportation.

That’s not really an overstatement of its potential. Since quantum
particles are indistinguishable but for the information they carry, there
is no need to transmit them themselves. A much simpler idea is to send the
information they contain instead and ensure that there is a ready supply of
particles at the other end to take on their identity. Since then,
physicists have used these ideas to actually teleport photons, atoms, and
ions. And it’s not too hard to imagine that molecules and perhaps even
viruses could be teleported in the not-too-distant future.

But Masahiro Hotta at Tohoku University in Japan has come up with a much
more exotic idea. Why not use the same quantum principles to teleport
energy?

Today, building on a number of papers published in the last year, Hotta
outlines his idea and its implications. The process of teleportation
involves making a measurement on each one an entangled pair of particles.
He points out that the measurement on the first particle injects quantum
energy into the system. He then shows that by carefully choosing the
measurement to do on the second particle, it is possible to extract the
original energy.

All this is possible because there are always quantum fluctuations in the
energy of any particle. The teleportation process allows you to inject
quantum energy at one point in the universe and then exploit quantum energy
fluctuations to extract it from another point. Of course, the energy of the
system as whole is unchanged.

He gives the example of a string of entangled ions oscillating back and
forth in an electric field trap, a bit like Newton’s balls. Measuring the
state of the first ion injects energy into the system in the form of a
phonon, a quantum of oscillation. Hotta says that performing the right kind
of measurement on the last ion extracts this energy. Since this can be done
at the speed of light (in principle), the phonon doesn’t travel across the
intermediate ions so there is no heating of these ions. The energy has been
transmitted without traveling across the intervening space. That’s
teleportation.

Just how we might exploit the ability to teleport energy isn’t clear yet.
Post your suggestions in the comments section if you have any.

But the really exciting stuff is the implications this has for the
foundations of physics. Hotta says that his approach gives physicists a way
of exploring the relationship between quantum information and quantum
energy for the first time.

There is a growing sense that the properties of the universe are best
described not by the laws that govern matter but by the laws that govern
information. This appears to be true for the quantum world, is certainly
true for special relativity, and is currently being explored for general
relativity. Having a way to handle energy on the same footing may help to
draw these diverse strands together.

On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 2:07 AM, Axil Axil <janap...@gmail.com> wrote:

> More,,,
>
> Here is a theory that explains the teleportation of energy via
> entanglement.
>

> http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/news/2014/jan/27/energy-can-be-teleported-over-long-distances-say-physicists
>
> Energy can be teleported over long distances, say physicists
>
> On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 1:59 AM, Axil Axil <janap...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> "especially not without radiation - we must look elsewhere
>> than nuclear."
>>

>> If two atomic structures  become entangled, they might be able to share
>> energy between themselves without the production of a gamma ray. If one
>> structure which has undergone a nuclear reaction  such as an isotopic shift
>> or a fusion reaction becomes entangled with a receiver, this sender of the
>> energy might send it excess energy to the receiver of that energy.  The
>> process of entanglement between the two quantum mechanical structures may
>> allow for an energy transfer in a higher dimension in which entanglement
>> manifests.
>>
>> See
>> http://arxiv.org/pdf/physics/0401153.pdf
>>
>> Matter and Light in Flatland
>>
>> I have become intrigued by the internal structure of the photon in higher
>> dimensions.
>>
>> This reference enplanes how electrons an photons must be higher
>> dimensional waveform because they can interfere with themselves in a double
>> stile experiment.
>>
>> A gamma ray can become entangled in a higher dimension with another
>> waveform at a higher dimension and pass energy to the other waveform
>> through an entangled path without our 4 dimensional world knowing it.
>>

>> On Mon, Apr 13, 2015 at 11:44 PM, Jones Beene <jone...@pacbell.net>
>> wrote:

>>> from H, then given the small amount that was present, each atom would