I agree it has been covered.

Radar signals are "absorbed" by the ocean when there are more waves on the
surface of the ocean to absorb carrier waves.  A calm ocean is more
reflective.

The reference is on my site.

3-4" waves lapping over a shallow reef are a good spot to absorb and ground
2-6 GHz radiation into the reef

The way the "conductive medium" dissipates the signal is through low level
electrical currents.

Stewart