Jed,
There were not "52 boxes" there were just four units working. No one outside of Rossi's camp can have "brushed up against them" and Rossi looked quite comfortable when using s stethoscope on one.
Photo center bottom shows them  http://andrea-rossi.com/1mw-plant/

Rossi spent much of his time in the computer container that had a 3KW air conditioner. Where did you get the idea Rossi never used a computer?

I agree with Robert Door that it should be possible to measure the performance of the plant by measuring the flow rate of the water and depending on the temperature of the output, if appreciably above 100C as steam, if not by some other means to determine the wetness fraction. According to Mats, Rossi said ignore the temperature of the input water and take 10% off the measured output to be conservative. That is to say, he only counted the latent heat of evaporation, not the preheat of the water.

No one knows the JM Products process that could well have been proprietary. A specially made piece of equipment would be unlikely to have a name plate giving the specifications. Just looking at the 20 x 3 x3 M box would tell you nothing about the amount of heat used. So I doubt if that would have helped much.

Like you, I would probably have carried out some simple tests to check the instrumentation. But it seems Penon was satisfied and both IH & Rossi watched the instrumentation being installed and after being sent away to have the calibrations checked. Until proven otherwise I have no reason to doubt the measurements. I think you protest too much.