When I put on my skeptic hat about this report from Mats, I think the
following.  This is speculation and opinion.

Rossi found out about Darden causing doubt among the Lugano scientists.
Scared that they may be convinced of the truth (as well as Mats), he
plotted a scheme to shore up his support.  He goes to Sweden  allegedly to
attempt to find a building for a factory and visits with the professors and
Mats while there.  The factory building is actually part of the scheme to
convince both Mats and the professors of just how serious Rossi is about
moving forward (who tries to buy a factory if he is only interested in
bilking 267 million dollars from IH?).  He's got to keep the Lugano profs
from jumping ship because he may lose the 11 M in addition to fatally
damaging his case were they to do the right thing and retract their paper.
Mats is a wildcard, because he could end up being objective despite having
invested so much time and effort in following Rossi.  Rossi can't risk
losing Mats' support, so a rare personal visit was in order.