Jones Beene <jone...@pacbell.net> wrote:

> Now that you mention it, and realizing how enticing/dangerous it would be
> to a certain segment of the population . . .

We have seen crazy stunts with thermite and other energetic materials on
> YouTube. In a worst case, we are talking about something which could be
> far more energetic than thermite. Yikes.

Not just a certain segment of the population -- we need to worry about
ordinary, timid professors as well. Martin Fleischmann strongly recommended
scaling down cold fusion experiments because of incidents like this.

However, there may be a problem with scaling down. Perhaps there is some
sort of critical mass issue. I do not mean with neutrons the way a critical
mass works in a fission reaction. I mean something like the buildup of heat
in a large mass of nickel powder.