Jed, I did not say that something is narrow, only. I said that there is an
accumulation of narrow techniques that accumulate. We, humans, along many
animals, do have many of these mechanisms of patter recognition, such as
overall syntax, face identification, sexual orientation, some sense of
beauty regarding a few symmetric things, following objects with the eyes,
finding boundaries in a landscape. Or, applying techniques to games and so
on.To tell you the truth, I am not sure if we are just reproducing these
automatic mechanism,by adding them bit by bit and if they will lead to a
contextual understanding of things.  But, I am kind of skeptical.