adding undue proliferation risk.

From: Bob Higgins

But Jones,

That's not what I said (I don't think).  What I was trying to get at was:

Hot fusion = Almost all of the fusion energy is delivered in the form of
neutron kinetic energy + energetic gamma energy

Cold fusion = Almost none (lets say < 1E-6) of the fusion energy recorded is
delivered in the form of neutron kinetic energy + energetic gammas

Otherwise, if cold fusion produced the energetic neutrons and gammas of hot
fusion, the future for it may not be as interesting.  Whatever the "cold
fusion" reaction is, it delivers fusion commensurate heat without the nasty
energetic neutrons and gammas that makes it particularly interesting.  These
energetic neutrons and gammas are a real quagmire for the hot fusion programs.
The 50% energetic neutrons will activate the machinery turning it all into
radioactive waste.  The machinery will have to be periodically replaced just
due to neutron damage to the materials.  Hot fusion reactors may not have
runaway reaction danger, but it will still be proliferating radioactive waste
(admittedly shorter half life).  Also what is being turned into waste and
having to be replaced will be expensive machinery.  The energetic neutrons will
make hot fusion energy expensive.

JonesBeene  wrote:
Bob,
Well, given that there are claims of small amounts of neutrons and gammas in
cold fusion by a number of reputable experiments, one cannot arbitrarily define
the reaction as being neutron-free or gamma free.
From: Bob Higgins
Jones -
 No, not humor.  Lack of neutrons and gamma has been -a- defining difference
between hot fusion and cold fusion.  In hot fusion the energy is taken away by
neutrons and gamma almost exclusively.  In cold fusion, there are no neutrons
and gamma commensurate with heat production (or dead graduate students).
Instead, there are low rate side productions of neutrons and gammas in cold
fusion systems, but that may be due to a small branching ratio or a small
amount of 2-body hot fusion occurring.
The input energy going into many cold fusion experiments is certainly
commensurate with that going into a Farnsworth fusor, but the Farnsworth
reaction is widely regarded as being 2-ion hot fusion.
I have that report, but have only scanned it so far.  It could be that the
neutron and gamma rates reported were small compared to the energy released by
the reaction - do you know?
JonesBeene  wrote:
Bob,
Did you mean that as humor?
It would be almost “pathological” to define cold fusion in such a way as to
exclude the known outputs of nuclear fusion in general.
In fact, in terms of the applied heat, palladium fusion at 2 volts has the
equivalent input temperature of 20,000°K per atom of reactant, whereas the
combustion temperature of burning deuterium in O2 would be less.