Michel Jullian writes.

> Ingenious! (Faraday cup and saucer, indeed ;)

Very British for tea, what? :-)

> For electrons slow enough not to produce secondary emission I would have
> thought a simpler collecting device, not a hollow one, would work: a grid
> surrounding a solid conductor, the latter positive wrt the former.

In vacuum tubes  (if you are old enough to remember them)
they call that the suppressor grid, usually tied
internally to the cathode.

> For the ultra-low energy emitter photo-emission should work better than
> thermo-emission as it will give more homogeneous energies (precisely
> controlled by incident light wavelength aren't they?)

I think an LED/or laser could cause low energy-low velocity electron
emission from a  low work function photo-emissive material.

One of Walter Fendt's applets for materials:

http://www.walter-fendt.de/ph14e/photoeffect.htm

Measuring the time-of-flight of the electrons from flash to detection
at the top/electrometer to determine/prove gravity repulsion might be a
chore

Fred