Michel Jullian wrote:
 > I didn't understand your reply, would the
elementary particle (any particle, e.g. a
neutron, a quark) lose something while falling towards
a planet?

Basically you're asking what sustains such particles.
To perhaps provide you with a
different POV, here's an analogy even though all
analogies are imperfect, but they server
to make a point.  The electro-magnet represents the
particle.  The source of power
(current source) that sustains the electro-magnet
would represent "Space."

We agree energy is being moved from the battery when
two electro-magnets accelerate toward
each other in magnetic attraction. We agree such
energy is moved from the battery to KE
and an increase in B-field. In the case of permanent
magnets, we both agree that energy of
"some sort" is moving to the magnets in way of KE in
addition to a net increase in
B-field.  You refer to such an energy source as PE.  I
am pointing out very obvious
patterns in nature that indicates such energy is not
yet another different aspect. That
such PE is not yet another separate type.  We see PE
popping its head in QM and Classical
equations.  IMHO PE should *not* be some magical glue
to bond and balance mathematical
theories together.

You might ask as to what patterns in nature am I
referring to.  Anything from springs to
electro-magnets.  Long ago people probably looked at
the spring and could only imagine
where such energy was being stored, where it was going
to and coming from.  Today the
spring is no mystery.  We know about atomic bonds. :-)

When humanity discovers an electro-gravity coil then
do you truly believe it will require
*no* energy when objects accelerate toward such a coil
while it is on?   We already know
what happens when the electro-magnet coil attracts
magnetic materials.  It requires energy.

 > BTW, I wonder if PE shouldn't be viewed as a
property of the universe rather than of an
object.

That's exactly what you seem to believe.  As two iron
atoms accelerate toward each other
we know it gains KE and a net increase in magnetic
field.  You believe nature has a back
door of energy, figuratively speaking.  A hidden
storage compartment that cannot be seen
or analyzed while in storage.  Such a theory is fine
if one has nothing else, or until we
begin to perceive such aforementioned patterns in
nature, or until we analyze the
equivalent of the magnetic dipole moment, which we
call the electro-magnet.  Also, such a
concept of PE is very ugly as far as simulation
programs are concerned.  It's difficult
enough simulation known energy.

 > BTW2, the universe is all that exists, by
definition. Parallel "universes" should be
called something else.

I believe you are confusing Omniverse or Multiverse
with the word "universe."   You cannot
say the universe is all there is if you accept
parallel universes.  It's just a definition
anyway, which I often call "all there is" as Nature,
but sometimes I prefer Omniverse.

Regards,
Paul