On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 2:10 AM, William Beaty <bi...@eskimo.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 30 May 2009, leaking pen wrote:
>

> People in the "uberman/polyphasic sleep" community think it's a learnable
> behavior.  Perhaps it helps to start out with unusual brain chemistry!
> But at least in my own case, my creative insanity switches on only when I
> carefully avoid processed food (normal american chow).  Heh: and then I
> start getting city parking spaces at the Jedi Master level of anomalous
> luck.

Really?  I should look them up.  If its causing my blood sugar issues
and falling asleep at work, id almost be willing to do something to
change the .... no no i wouldnt.  I LOVE being able to take a 5 minute
nap and have a 15 minute subjective time frame dream.

To digress just a little, I discovered your essays on the wave nature
of traffic about a month before getting my license (got it at 22.
Just didn't need one sooner, i took the bus everywhere. ) and had a
massive impact on my driving style.  Without speeding, i always get
places before friends that speed becuase , Being unworried, relaxed,
letting the road itself dictate things, i get openings when i need
them to change lanes just appearing before me, my lights are always
green, and people pull out of parking spots right in front of me the
moment i enter the lot.  Friends of mine riding with me are mystified
and amazed. And i find that if im running late, in a rush, harried,
angry, wanting everything to move faster.....   I get screwed with red
lights, walls of cars, and no spots to park.
I actually bought a website, churchoftheroad, to do a little something
about that kind of thing, but, alas, still is a blank page.  But i
digress..
>> Something to remember. electrons don't actaully orbit the nucleus.
>
> Yep, that's the visualizable grade-school diagram.  (Or the diagram of
> Rydberg atoms in the process of decay.)
>
> How can we explain the nature of EM fields in the nearfield region of a
> very small, sharply tuned RLC resonator? Say that it's being driven by the
> Casmir background, and so cannot radiate.  But that doesn't mean it lacks
> strong fields in the nearfield region.
>
> The danger is that we'd note the lack of real photons being emitted by an
> atom's electron cloud, conclude that no AC fields exist in the nearfield
> region, therefore assume no significant EM interactions exist between two
> distant atoms.  But transformers and capacitors are fundamentally
> different than pairs of distant radio antennas, and they work fine at
> frequencies with waves too long to radiate.  The lack of "light photons"
> does not imply a lack of strong coupling between two nearby coils.
> (Transformers and capacitors function entirely by tunneling photons, of
> course.)
>
>> These orbitals are actually what cause the transmission spectrums, the
>> transmission spectra is based on an electron absorbing energy,
>
> If I try to boil down all the weird ideas that popped into my head, then
> here's the real question:  do atoms experience significant Vanderwaals
> forces with nearby atoms of the same species, but not with atoms of
> different species?  (Nearby, as in 50 nanometers, not molecular bond
> lengths.)
Well, vanderwall includes so called London Forces, yes?  I was under
the impression that those occured between dissimilar atoms, for
example, the london forces in water that cause its high viscosity and
surface tension occure between O in one atom and H in another.

But then, there are many forces included as vanderwall, yes?  Is there
a particular one you are thinking of that I could hunt down and look
more at?

> The only experiments I've encountered are the very recent ones involving
> an AFM tip separated from a surface by many nanometers.  The tip
> experiences a large unexplained friction, but only if the tip carries a
> tiny crystal of the same material of which the nearby surface is composed.
> In other words, an atom isn't attracted to a similar surface, but instead
> it causes the surface atoms to emit phonons into the crystal lattice
> whenever the single atom tries to move nearby.  The single atom behaves as
> if it's trapped in electromagnetic flypaper.  And the single atom is far
> far outside the atomic diameters of the surface atoms.
I will have to hunt that one down as well.  Very cool.

> Knowing that there's something weird going on in the tens-nM atomic
> region, I'd been waiting for such an experiment to crop up.  I saw that QM
> is still incomplete, because people think that atoms are fundamentally
> different than tiny metal antennas.  On the other hand, this topic isn't
> outside of physics.  Instead it's filed under "VanderWaals interaction,"
> little understood, little studied, and not given high importance.

I saw a quote from a fiction character in a webcomic i read recently
that made me laugh.

"Quantum Mechanics is a lot like religion.  One side endeavors to
prove their answer is correct by twisting facts and ignoring others,
to make their version of reality fit, no matter how stupid it sounds
to everyone else.

The other believes in a magic man in the sky."

Seriously, things not given high importance always seem to be where
the breakthroughs and answers come from, dont they?

> You can look up VanderWaals explanations and find they cover some of what
> I'm talking about:  an atom's electron cloud undergoes a QM noise
> fluctuation, creating non-uniform charge distribution, creating a huge EM
> field which can affect distant atoms by provoking a similar fluctuation
>
> But what if the two atoms are of the same element?  Then they contain
> matched resonators, and the energy being borrowed from the virtual sea may
> be larger than when it's frequency is far from an absorption/emission
> line.
>

>> might that form of electron tunneling be your radio signal?  jumping
>> to orbitals that are the exact same energy, because its the same
>> element at the same energy state?
>
> Definitely.  It's nonradiative, brief, virtual-existing tunneling events.
> The atom constantly emits a line spectrum but absorbs it simultaneously,
> so no real photons escape.  No light, but only the "coil/capacitor fields"
> of macroscopic components in oscillation.
>
> Or here's another way to say it:  a lone electron is surrounded by an
> intense field of virtual photons, same as a lone proton.  Let them combine
> to form a hydrogen atom, and what happens to this photon population? The
> textbooks I've encountered don't discuss it.  Are they assuming that,
> since the ground state orbital has a spherical shape, therefore any EM
> field must be radial and entirely contained inside the orbital?  Well,
> what happens if experiments show otherwise.  And also, what happens if
> another hydrogen atom is passing by at 30nM distance?

My only question is how this tunneling creates an attraction.   Is the
electron actually imparting a force moving the atoms closer together
while doing it?