On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 8:44 AM, thomas malloy <temall...@usfamily.net> wrote:
> leaking pen wrote:
>
> Something to remember. electrons don't actually orbit the nucleus.
> they bounce around randomly, perhaps actually appearing and
> dissapearing, or, tunneling, within vague cloud like areas known as
> orbitals (because of the old Neils Bohr orbital model of the atom. )
>
> Perhaps the nucleus is a toroid and the electrons go through the hole in the
> center.

That would be the f orbital.
http://www.chemistry.ucsc.edu/~soliver/151A/Handouts/d-orbitals.gif

>> When electrons are "shared" in a chemical bond, they bounce back and
>> forth between the filled orbitals of the paired atoms, spending
>> weekends with daddy and weeks with mommy (mommy being the most
>> electronegative of the pair, if they arent the same atom)  Now, this
>> fact, based on the distances involved in chemical bonds, means that
>>

> what a classic Generation X analogy!

Considering that the parents who actually have such a setup are
generally boomers with their gen x kids, I figured it would be as
classic an analogy for the generation that actually HAD such a high
number of divorces and split up kids.  But hey, whatever floats your
boat.