On Feb 1, 2010, at 7:21 AM, Jones Beene wrote:
ZPE is looking more and more like an “energy sink” instead of an “energy source” …

… but do not fear vorticians – perhaps it can be both.

Particle physicists know well the vacuum acts as both a mass/energy source and sink - even at GeV levels.

But if it only operates an energy sink,

It doesn't. Borrowed mass/energy is part of every weak interaction, because the W-, W+, and Z have huge masses. These are borrowed on short term loan. However, the fact the universe is here indicates that in the right circumstances the vacuum can put mass/energy on a long term loan. I think nature is making long term loans all the time, as noted in:

http://www.mtaonline.net/~hheffner/GravityPairs.pdf

and pp 21-24 of:

http://www.mtaonline.net/~hheffner/GravityPairs.pdf

If the latter is correct, then we can possibly do this in a controlled fashion.
then even so, as anyone who has followed this emerging viewpoint is aware, an energy sink can be almost as valuable for alternative energy, if not more so - than a true energy source … since we already have an adequate source.

It is hidden away in the 300 degree K “ambient” blackbody field that we are so accustomed to living in (“swimming in”) – that we seldom look at it as a source.

And ironically, it is not a source without the sink.

There is a pun in there somewhere (sink or swim?) but I will leave it for the others punsters to take a shot at.

Jones

Analogically speaking, since the capacity of the drain matches that of the faucet, the question at hand is how to plug the drain.

Best regards,

Horace Heffner
http://www.mtaonline.net/~hheffner/