On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 5:02 PM, Stephen A. Lawrence <sa...@pobox.com> wrote:

> (I've seen one off-hand reference to "the condenser" but it wasn't in a
> description of the apparatus; it was, IRRC, in a remark by Terry and seemed
> to be more of an assumption than anything else.)

Ackshully, not an assumption.  I read, somewhere, that the steam was
condensed (damned if I can remember where).

If you look as some of the piccys in Jed's post, the black hose is
extended as though it is connected to something.  If the first piccy,
it is lying on the floor and spraying steam onto the H cannister.  The
cannister is black at the base and there is a circle of black stain on
the floor; but, the center is clean.

I surmise that the hose has been disconnected from the "condenser" to
measure the humidity of the steam and left lying on the floor for a
period of time.  The hose as seen at the top of the device is no
longer extended during this photo.

But who the f knows?