Hallo!

I made simple steam sparging experiment by measuring the steam quality
and enthalpy of my Espresso machine's steam wand (for making
capuchino).

– 200ml cool water (11°C) was measured into tea cup.
– Steam was sparged into mug for 32 seconds and there was not observed
splattering or escaping steam
– After sparging temperature was measured at 38°C, thus ΔT was 27K
– the total enthalpy was calculated 4160J×27×0.20 = 22.5 kJ and power 0.70 kW.
– Water level rose approximate 15ml ± 5ml.

As my instruments were too crude, I could not calculate steam quality
in any reasonable accuracy. If it is assumed 100% quality steam, then
total enthalpy should be 22.7–45.4 kJ therefore steam quality was
something between 99.1% and 49.6%. Therefore I failed with steam
quality measurements.

However for calculating enthalpy, steam quality is irrelevant. And
also I did not observe any reasons why there should not be two or even
three significant digits, if measurements were done carefully. Horace
has said that there are numerous potential errors, but I did not
observe any of his objections:

Horace wrote: «I would note that steam sparging can have large errors
due to steam escaping, due to variability in measuring the temperature
decline curve, due to variations in the calorimetry constant with
temperature, and due to imperfect stirring techniques.»

There was not significant steam escaping. Temperature decline was
irrelevant, because experiment lasted only 32 seconds. And stirring is
irrelevant, because sub-boiling water needs to be stirred only before
final temperature is measured. Steam sparging is very accurate, fast
and simple to do method for calorimetry, therefore Horace's objections
are out of proportions.

–Jouni

PS. I also calibrated my thermometer and I noticed that it was very
poor. 0°C water was -6°C. I have also some doubts if the scale is
accurate, because 11°C was somewhat reasonable temperature for cold
tap water. However 38°C was too small value, because water was
somewhat hotter than hand, although it was not burning hot. Anyways, I
guess that this thermometer is good for measuring temperature at
Incineration plant.