I think it is great you are pursuing this Alan.

I think the temperature of the thick brass part may play a similar or even larger role than the steel nut.

I noted on page 4 of my review:

http://www.mtaonline.net/~hheffner/Rossi6Oct2011Review.pdf

This photo by Mats Lewan of NyTeknik of the 6 Oct Rossi Tout thermocouple that it can and probably did extend beyond the steel nut, toward the brass manifold:

http://www.mtaonline.net/~hheffner/LewanTcoupleClose.jpg

It was thus subject to the air temperature in the volume underneath the insulation and between the brass manifold and steel nut. It is especially notable that the frayed insulation, cut from around the probe tip, was not trimmed. This is very unusual. The frayed electrical insulation may have prevented good thermal contact of the thermocouple with the steel nut, and thus exposed the thermocouple primarily to the air temperature in the vicinity, which would be expected to be higher than that of the steel nut.