From: Harry Veeder <hveeder...@gmail.com>
To: vortex-l <vortex-l@eskimo.com>
Sent: Fri, May 25, 2012 2:30 am
Subject: Re: [Vo]: Proton Fusion Ni58 to Cu59 Endothermic?

personally i don't believe nature (or god) balances the books for every process.
e only need CoE to hold for our measuring instruments.
arry
On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 11:09 PM, David Roberson <dlrober...@aol.com> wrote:
 This concept is most interesting.  I would assume that the energy required
 to overcome the electrostatic barrier must still be supplied and it would
 most likely be stolen from the strong force presentations.  The nucleus mass
 deficit is substantially larger when a neutron is absorbed (Ni58 + Neutron =
 Ni59) than when a proton is forced into the nucleus against the barrier
 (Ni58 + Proton = Cu59).  This supports that hypothesis.

 An interesting secondary occurrence is that the subsequent beta plus decay
 of the Cu59 into Ni59 represents the expelling of the same amount of charge
 as was previously absorbed.  This second process demonstrates a relatively
 large mass deficit.   The end result of the complete process is a near
 parity energy performance when compared to direct neutron absorption.

 Why the coulomb barrier energy is not lost is still blocked within my mind.
 Apparently stars run out of steam when they try to fuse Ni56 with an alpha
 particle to form Zn60.  My calculations suggest the same occurrence if I
 assume that the activation barrier energy is lost into the mass of the Zn60
 nucleus.  I guess I must have a mental barrier that is difficult to
 overcome!

 Dave