I wrote:

> Now I know how people felt when isotopes were discovered.

I meant that isotopes came as a surprise, and people initially questioned
the experimental results rather than believe there variations in the weight
of an element.

It is an interesting episode in the history of science. I read about it
decades ago. They were expecting to find that atomic weights are exact
integral values starting with hydrogen (1). They got the wrong answers.
Quite wrong, in some cases, such as Al, 26.982. As I recall they kept
thinking: "when instruments improve the results will get better and yield
exactly 26.000." This is like the skeptical assertion that as calorimeters
improve, the cold fusion effect will go away.

The discovery of the neutron cleared up the mystery, but apparently, as
mass measurements improve, they have revealed layer of variation below
that. More complexity.