To: <vortex-l@eskimo.com>; <vortex-l@eskimo.com>
Sent: Friday, August 10, 2012 1:17 AM
Subject: RE: [Vo]:Blather in the mass media makes scientists think we are crazy

At 01:28 PM 8/8/2012, Ron Wormus wrote:
As far as I know a child born to a US citizen is automatically also a citizen regardless of location of birth. I have grand daughters born in Switzerland who have dual citizenship.

As with anything, it depends on what you mean by "citizen." Further, it is not clear that the Constitutional Rule is subject to modification by statute, but it's also obvious that the definition of "U.S." has shifted because of later events. The rules for *being recognized* as a U.S. citizen by virtue of birth are a bit complicated, but they are only designed to rule out situations where it's not clear what would be equitable.

I.e., a single citizen parent, with a non-citizen other parent, can create a marginal situation, and the rules are designed to require a showing that the single parent was not only a U.S. citizen, but had a real relationship with the U.S., by living here a certain minimum time, after 14 years of age. The number of years required changed. Presently, it is five years of residence in the U.S. by the citizen-parent before the birth, two of which must be after 14. Obama's mother would have satisfied that, she was 18.

However, the law at the time of Obama's birth required 10 years total and five years after 14. Given that Obama's mother was 18 at his birth, if Obama was born outside the U.S., then he'd not have had "citizenship by right of birth" at that time. I'm sure this makes the birthers all hot and bothered.

I don't know about the retroactive applicability of the new law. The Wikipedia article implies that it was not retroactive, which is a tad weird. But sometimes laws are weird.

It's claimed that Obama wasn't born in Hawaii, but in Kenya. This creates a problem. I've bought foreign-born children into the U.S. You can't just saunter through customs with the kid. You have to show documents. In particular, you generally have to show a passport. To get a passport, you generally need a birth certificate. So if the birth certificate was forged, it would have to have been forged way back then, when this was a poor mother, not socially connected.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birther

The Indonesian connection is completely irrelevant. Obama could have had some right to be an Indonesian citizen, but I very much doubt that his U.S. passport was surrendered or that any act took place that would revoke U.S. citizenship.

It's been raised that "anyone can get a birth certificate." Sure. I've done it, quite a few times. I delivered four of my first five children, at home. I filed the papers. They are generally to be filed by the one who "attends" the birth. The law generally requires that it be filed within so many days of the birth. I also worked with the Arizona Publich Health Department, because we were generally assisting parents to give birth at home, and their critical interest was that the births be registered, so we agreed to encourage the parents to register the births (and to inform the Health Department of births). For legal reasons, at that time, our trope was that the father, generally, actually delivered the baby. Sometimes so, sometimes not. You do what you have to do. Later, we were licensed and registration became a binding legal requirement.

The point is that it's filed timely, generally. If that fails, it can be registered late, but it must still be signed by the persons affirming the facts. The long form Obama birth certificate was signed by a physician, presumably the attending physician, I can't read the signature, but this could easily be determined who it was. The certification shows filing on August 8, 1961, 4 days after the certified birth, August 4. That's normal. The information on the certificate about parents was certified by the mother's signature on August 7. This is all totally normal.

There is other evidence of the birth at that time. See the Wikipedia article. The denial of that certificate is totally nuts, wishful thinking or smoke-screen.

By the way, birth announcements in newspapers are also often based on information provided, usually from the parents, but grandparents could do it. What information like that shows is that the claim of Hawaiian birth existed immediately. Not later. In this case, though, it appears that the listings of births came from the Health Department.

This is what happens when people believe that "something is wrong" and then go searching for it. They find "facts" to question or assert, creating a new story that satisfies their itch.

As to the alleged goal of the grandparents to make Obama a citizen, sure. However, consider their position at the time. This would have required felonies, forging birth certificates is a serious crime. Most people couldn't pull it off. This theory requires that the pregnant mother travel to Kenya. And then come back with the baby, and a birth certificate would be needed for a passport to come back in. You also cannot generally leave a foreign country with a baby unless you have papers. Most countries look dimly on taking babies out without permission! Look, I'd not want to try this trick! Extremely risky. Just to avoid handling the situation legally? An undisputed citizen-mother would not have had difficulty getting permission to bring her foreign-born child in, it just might not have been as a citizen-by-right.

It's preposterous. Now I see why "birther" is a popular synonym for "stupid nut case."

To *suspect* something, okay. That's just normal skepticism. But to *believe* this as if it were obviously true, now *that's* crazy.