I imagine a discussion along these lines:   Chemically Assisted
Transmutation Reaction (CATR) expert:   Yes, certain chemical reactions are
known to produce tritium. Those reactions should be regulated by the NRC or
band. Those reactions use the hydrogen isotope deuterium.   Chemical
reactions that use ordinary hydrogen do not produce tritium and should not
be regulated. These reactions are common in nature and are found in
lightning and volcanism and the decay of most natural isotopes.   CATR
causes and acceleration of alpha particle decay which causes a
transmutation of an element into another plus the production of helium4.
This happens all the time in nature; in CATR, we just speed up the process
a little.   This Alpha decay results in the production of energy that we
turn into heat. Our process does not produce radioactive wastes, in the
same way that the natural process does not.   Congressman: Well that sounds
great, We don’t need to get involved with this acceleration of a natural
process.