>From Ed:

> Thanks Jim for making my comment more vivid.  The situation

> is growing worse and your  personal experience is one of many tragic

> consequences.  The driving force behind hiring is the cost of labor.

> People from other countries are cheaper, the young are cheaper, and

> the robots are cheaper.  This cost is not just salary. The cost of

> healthcare, pension, and general overhead is high.  As you made clear,

> the quality of the person is not what matters in many industries,

> only the cost. The standard of living in the US is adjusting downward

> and everybody is suffering.  When the inflation being created by the

> Federal Reserve increases in ernest, our pain will increase again.

<personal rant>

Having worked in Info Tech for over 30 years I have to say that the amount
of out sourcing I've experienced, professionally speaking, within the last
10 - 15 years has been dramatic. This outsourcing virus seems to have
increased exponentially within the last 5 years.

For most of my professional InfoTech career I've worked for state government
institutions. I am currently responsible for maintaining an expensive
software package that is owned by EMC. EMC is a huge conglomerate company
that, among many eclectic activities, manages high volume scanning software.
What we have purchased from them is a tiny portion of the company's entire
revenues. As such, we're small fish as far as EMC is concerned.

Whenever we encounter a problem (or bug) with their scanning software for
which that we cannot resolve on our own we open up another on-line Service
Request through the EMC web site. 98% of the time we will be hooked up with
an individual whose name, as spelled in the English language, is a
significant challenge for me to pronounce correctly.

I certainly don't fault countries like India for having wisely educated a
huge portion of their population base with highly employable technical
degrees that presumably include accompanying skills. Just like everyone else
on this planet they deserve to earn & live a better life than their parents.

However, what I find inexcusable, ABSOLUTELY INEXCUSABLE, is that companies
like EMC appear to have gutted a significant portion of their experienced
English speaking technical staff and replaced them with a significantly
cheaper and inexperienced labor force in the misguided assumption by doing
so they will be able to service their customers with the same degree of
expertise, and all on the cheap.

WHAT WERE THEY THINKING!!!!

You just try conducting an on-line WebX session with an individual
concerning highly technical matters when their command of the English
language (combined with heavy accent) results in me hopefully comprehending
about 70 to 80 percent of what they say over the phone.

For about two years now we have been trying to upgrade to a newer version of
a high-volume scanning software package. We had been using reasonably STABLE
versions of this software for well over 5 years. Unfortunately, these older
versions are going out of service very soon. But now... and you heard that
right... for TWO YEARS now we have been trying to upgrade to a newer
version. This upgrade has been going on for so long that this new version we
are currently trying to upgrade to, we have been told by EMC, will ITSELF go
out of service this summer. So, we are trying to upgrade to this version so
that we can then turn around and upgrade to the next version which should
hopefully last several more years longer before EMC decides it's time to
pull it out of service. (I'll spare you the details about the politics
involved with this "upgrade" strategy. Needless to say, it wasn't my
choice.)

Earlier this week I documented the fact that the software version we are
still trying to upgrade to exhibits "show stopping" serious functional
flaws. Our users will be unable to use the software as-is. I emailed EMC
concerning the specifics of what I uncovered. I sent them a very explicit
eMail message that documented the problems we've encountered. I also CC'd as
my boss with my findings. I included a very clear hint to EMC (as well as my
boss) that I'm recommending we seriously consider shopping around for
another high volume scanning software package. (I've heard that KOFAX's,
Ascent Capture s/w, is a good competitor.)

I finally got a tech person who's native language is English. Hopefully EMC
will take this matter seriously. Hopefully we'll get some EXPERIENCED
development staff working on fixing the bugs. Hopefully this will be
accomplished before I am possibly forced to retire prematurely (because
someone has to be blamed) because I can't make their #$%# software work for
us in our building. In 30 plus years of working in the Info Tech
environment, I have never encountered a piece of &#$$ software as bad as
this. It is SO NOT ready for primetime.

I can understand why EMC recently announced a brand new version that they
are now trying to peddle to their customers. Meanwhile, I wonder who EMC
hired (and from which countries) to develop the software version we're still
trying to upgrade to. When I compare the functionality of this "new" version
versus what we had been using for the past five years, there is no
comparison. Absolutely none. The new version has both the look and feel of
having been developed by a bunch of students freshly minted from a
technical-engineering college... Young people with little or no practical
experience in how to write UTILITARIAN software.

If the newer-and-even-better-improved version we hope to upgrade to, after
we finally upgrade to the one we are currently trying  to upgrade turns out
to having been developed by the same team... God help us.

</personal rant>

Regards,

Steven Vincent Johnson

www.OrionWorks.com