On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 7:10 PM, OrionWorks - Steven Vincent Johnson <
orionwo...@charter.net> wrote:

> However, what I find inexcusable, ABSOLUTELY INEXCUSABLE, is that
> companies like EMC appear to have gutted a significant portion of their
> experienced English speaking technical staff and replaced them with a
> significantly cheaper and inexperienced labor force in the misguided
> assumption by doing so they will be able to service their customers with
> the same degree of expertise, and all on the cheap.

I find the outsourcing discussion interesting on several levels.

Part of my responsibilities at work include liaising with a team in
Singapore.  They have taken over some of the work that my team previously
worked on, and my team are gradually transitioning to other
responsibilities.  The people in Singapore are a real pleasure to work with.

One thing that is interesting about the outsourcing discussion is that, I
believe, one cannot self-consistently advocate hard-core capitalist market
ideology, on hand, and get upset about outsourcing, on the other. (I'm not
suggesting you're in the group of hard-core free-market advocates, Steven.)
 If you believe in purely market-driven solutions, outsourcing seems like a
natural fit.  If you have qualms with outsourcing, you may need to burnish
up your free-market credentials.  I believe this goes for any contracts the
US government would need to fill as well -- unless, perhaps, one is willing
to grant themselves a dispensation to depart a little from the spirit of
market-based solutions.

Eric