this is also the position of the writer on "the next convergence".

Real policy for emerging countries is not laisser-faire, but TEMPORARY
protectionism, huge investment in education and infrastructure, support for
NEW industry...
and reinventing all, breaking the old model, every 10 years. also one key
idea is to forget about perfect solutions.

Korea nearly missed the occidentallevel of developement because they wanted
to enjoy their low-cost economy of the time. hopefully the workers moaned
so much that wages increased, and that with education, they could get at a
higher level of economy.
don't forget that Korea was at a level nor far from East China today.

What I see in france, is on one side some broken protectionism, leading to
support zombies economy, voters lobbies, economic rent lobbies, and thus to
starve the real needed investments, over taxing the new industry and the
innovators (as people, and as industry)...
On another side the work market is so unreal that there is bad habits of
throwing experienced worked (too expensive, hard to control, pretended as
outdated)...
Pressure of taxes and alike are so high that work have to be very very
productive (ve are very productive, too much for most) so it eliminates
unexperienced workers (young, not qualified much), and older workers
(slowers, obsoleted)or believed so.
The gap in working cost is so wide with germany, that companies have quite
no benefit to reinvest in innovation, and we lose markets(we have nearly
the worst margin in EU).
One problem is that it is harder to break a working contract than divorce.
I've tested mysef for a small job for repairing house, that breaking a
contract because ther is no more anything to do, IS NOT ALLOWED (checked
many times with the work law administration). This make the emplyers very
selective about employee who have to be perfect and predictable. No
possibility to say that you will see if the man is good, if he can be
trained...
the effect is we have problem of low employment for aged workers, and so
for young workers, leading to retirement fund bankrupcy.
Young worker start to have a stable job (instability of work in france is
very painful, since our mindset is not adapted so. we stress. it is hard to
find a rent, a loan).
being old in an enterprise start at 45 in france... at 45 you are assumed
to be unable to change. at 50 you have to be fired at first occasion(not
many), and nobody will employ you anymore. at 55 nobody will expect
anything for you, no pressure, no training, no employment, just hope to
fire you when a window open. at 65-67 you can hope to have your
retirement... in between... and in france it is hard to pay people below
that standard, so aged experienced worker are not employed, rather that
underpaid...

my question is whether LENR and robotic will save us, or if it will simply
help Asia to develop, Africa after, letting us locked in our demagogy,
until we have to move to Asia, where there is work and opportunities...
If things get bad for me, this is one opportunity (not China, which is too
locked, but one of the next tiger : Indonesia. still open and where I have
a family network).
Maybe Africa will be more adapted for most French since we have history and
family links there, yet Asian diaspora develop many links since a decade...