It is an interesting question as to what percentage of the yield of “Mike” – if
any - was due to BEC formation within the large flask of liquid deuterium. For
some reason, this possibility never occurred to me before now - but it seems
possible if not likely.

Indeed, the extra yield from BECs could have been substantial.

BTW – the statement that Maxwellian distribution prohibits room temperature
BECs is probably false in a time denominated progression where only a small
percentage is necessary for fusion. It’s all statistics. But the skeptics
mis-framed the argument.

If BECs can form at all at room temperature - then at least for a useable
portion of the population of deuterons, there should be transitory condensates
of a few tens of molecules forming rapidly enough at room temperature for
fusion - since the time required for fusion is extremely short. Even if only 10
deuterons in 10 billion condense together at any picosecond, the statistics
could be such that there should always be a useable population to fuse.

This is above my pay grade, but I doubt seriously that MB distributions are
prohibitory - IF the BEC will form at all at ambient. The logical error of
skeptics here is the “all or nothing” error.

Don’t forget that D nuclei inside a palladium lattice at full loading and 300 K
are closer together than when in the deuterons are in liquid form.

From: David Roberson

Low temperatures initially?  Too bad it did not remain that way.

Actually, I was seeking evidence of a low energy reaction.  You did bring up an
interesting point however.  How would you expect the BECs to influence the
overall reaction in this particular case?  Could they have caused the yield to
exceed expectations?  Would that also tend to generate nasty radioactive
elements that do not normally occur in other designs?  We may be on to
something that needs to be explored.

I am attempting to get a handle on the equivalent pressure that would be
required to force Ds to be in the proximity that they find themselves within if
they share a hole within a metal matrix.  This must be enormous compared to the
density they exhibit at room temperature.  Add this elevated pressure and laser
cooling, or other methods that reduce the relative motion between them and
something interesting might result.

Then, of course there are random variations in the energy of Ds that naturally
occur.  It makes me wonder if being trapped in a tiny cavity would tend to
allow instantaneous cooling to occur under the right circumstances.

Dave