OK, I think I understand what you are describing after your detailed 
explanation.   Correct me if I am wrong, but it appears as though you are 
assuming that a random collection of individual events is leading to the crater 
formation and hot spots.  This is a possible cause and might indeed be the 
final explanation.  I see that you are still considering that the energy from 
each reaction is in the form of photons mainly which can penetrate fairly 
deeply into the metal.   The heat is released when the photons are absorbed at 
some remote location.


That is what I remember you stating a few days ago.  I countered with a 
slightly different concept as I was discussing blue sky thinking.  I envision 
that the heat does not appear far removed from the reaction and therefore 
results in a large elevation to the temperature in the very nearby NAE.  On 
many occasions a random fusion occurs at one of your sites that does not cause 
adjacent sites to significantly accelerate their activity.  The probability of 
interaction instead is directly related to the density of NAE within the region 
according to my hypothesis.  I see now how this differs from your process since 
it appears that each of your reactions proceeds slowly and there would not be a 
large concentration of heat energy to diffuse.


Do you think that the heating due to random addition of the events would be 
sufficient to cause the cratering and hot spots?  I am not sure about how many 
of these random happenings would have to be coincident for the release of 
sufficient heat energy to form one of those craters.  The appearance reminds me 
more of an explosion of some sort instead of a simple melting of the material.  
I suspect that a cone type shape does not originate from random melting of a 
bulk of material although I may be wrong.  And the dept of the initial cone tip 
seems out of range for liquid metal to originate.  These are the problems that 
I encounter when attempting to explain the size and shape of the end products.


If you think of the reaction as being a form of chain reaction then the shapes 
make more sense.  There will generally be a single random triggered fusion 
reaction within the metal.   These must be occurring for the device to 
initially generate excess heat.  If, as I suspect, the adjacent NEA sites 
become triggered themselves then more heat is added to the mix.  An interesting 
observation comes to light.  Since the resulting structure has a cone shape, 
the suggestion becomes that the energy is released in that shape from each 
reaction.  This cone of energy spreads outward from initiation and encounters 
additional NAE in its path.  Many of these become triggered in some manner and 
the energy from them adds to the resulting cone shaped energy wave.  We would 
need to understand what process could lead to a cone shaped energy release if 
my hypothesis has any likelihood of success.


I need to consider how shaped charges behave to clarify my understanding of how 
my assumed process proceeds.  Someone in vortex my already have that knowledge 
and their input would be welcome.  Should I also look into the path that a high 
speed projectile takes when it penetrates a solid material?  The shockwave 
emanating from one of these tends to take the form of the craters.


Well Ed, I see that your current theory and my hypothesis do not quite merge 
together as a whole.  If there is a way to speed up your reactions and get them 
to cooperate with their neighbors then that might become possible.  


Dave


-----Original Message-----
From: Edmund Storms <[email protected]>
To: vortex-l <[email protected]>
Cc: Edmund Storms <[email protected]>
Sent: Sun, Feb 24, 2013 6:40 pm
Subject: Re: [Vo]:Explaining Cold fusion -IV




On Feb 24, 2013, at 3:06 PM, David Roberson wrote:


Ed, I have been looking at the craters that have formed upon the surface of 
some of the earlier active experiments.  Also, Axil supplied a fine link that 
demonstrated hot spots being formed upon the surface of another system.  I can 
run down the picture reference if you wish, but I suspect that you are aware of 
these from previous studies.  Let me know. 


I have seem all of this information. 


 
 
The big question is whether or not a single fusion event is capable of doing 
this degree of damage and creating the relatively large heating associated with 
hot spots. 



Dave, I see no question here. A single event CAN NOT do any damage. This is 
easy to show. The melting occurs only when the random collection of active 
sites exceeds a critical concentration in a local region, as I explain in 
detail below. 


 It is well established that temperature does effect the LENR systems in a 
positive manner.  Elevated metal temperature is required to obtain any 
significant LENR and it is apparent that the higher the temperature of a device 
such as the ECAT, the more heat is produced.



Yes

 

 
 
My hypothesis can be proven wrong if it can be shown that there is no change in 
the quantity of energy released per larger event regardless of the density of 
NAE that are active in the material.  So, if all of the craters can be formed 
by one or at most a couple of simultaneous fusion reactions, or the amount of 
heat appearing at the hot spots is only due to one,  then each is unrelated.  
Here I refer to a fusion reaction as being due to the formation of one ash 
product instead of a chain of events due to the heating.
 

 
 
Does this suggest that you now accept the coupling hypothesis?   I recall that 
earlier you stated that each fusion event proceeded to completion and was not 
related to the others.  



I need to be more clear here.  Millions of suitable cracks are present in an 
active material. Each one of these cracks supports a series of fusion 
reactions. The process starts by D accumulating and forming the required 
structure in the crack. The structure resonates until all energy is lost and 
the He forms. The He diffuses away and is replaced by D, and the process 
repeats. The total cycle time might be a few seconds for each active site. The 
sites are cycling in random sequence and the total power is the average of them 
all. No single site can produce enough energy to make any local change or even 
to be detected.  However, if by random chance a large number of sites are close 
together, this can release enough power to cause melting when all the cycles in 
this area scrutinize to a sufficient amount. If this happens, all active sites 
in this region are destroyed and further energy production at this local region 
stops. 




When I first mentioned this idea you did not express a positive opinion of its 
merits.  It is good that we can now agree that this might be happening and 
should be an addition to the original theory.



My opinion was that I could see no benefit to using this process to explain 
anything - other than the explanation I had already imagined as I describe 
above. 

 

 
 
One thing that needs to be clarified is that I am not speaking of the average 
temperature of the metal matrix in this description.  That might be what you 
refer to as local.  I am addressing the instantaneous large spike that occurs 
and which diffuses into the average background temperature with time.  There is 
a large difference between the two.



You need to realize that the energy is not felt by the system as heat until the 
photons are absorbed. Most of these photons leave the sample and make heat in 
the electrolyte or in the wall of the container. Very little is absorbed 
locally at the active crack.  As I said, the process of heat formation is 
complex.  The individual active sites only experience the ambient temperature.  
Local  temperature at each site will be slightly greater than the average, but 
not excessive unless the concentration of sites at that local area is very 
high. 


Is this clearer.


Ed

 

 
 
Dave
 
 
 
-----Original Message-----
 From: Edmund Storms <[email protected]>
 To: vortex-l <[email protected]>
 Cc: Edmund Storms <[email protected]>
 Sent: Sun, Feb 24, 2013 4:34 pm
 Subject: Re: [Vo]:Explaining Cold fusion -IV
 
 
 Dave, what behavior of LENR can only be explained by proposing coupling 
between the NAE sites? Of course, coupling is expected based on local 
temperature and a photon flux. What more do you propose? 

 
 
Ed
 
 
On Feb 24, 2013, at 2:26 PM, David Roberson wrote:
 

Robin, 

 
 
The net energy released by a single fusion reaction is measured in the MeV, not 
eV.  That is why I believe that there is a mutual interaction between 
individual NAE.  The local heat energy release is large and can not escape the 
area except through diffusion which is a slow process compared to the reaction 
time associated with nuclear effects.
 

 
 
This should behave much like raising the local temperature by many degrees 
Kelvin which should encourage reactions by nearby NAEs if we assume a positive 
temperature coefficient for LENR.
 

 
 
Ed's theory handles activity at a single NAE that he states will continue until 
completion.   My suggested addition is a system level coupling that will now 
explain other observations.  When an addition improves a theory, it should be 
incorporated into an improved one.  Now we can consider the behavior of a 
device exhibiting LENR as being composed of two different type of responses.  
The first is the original one where NAE generate copious amounts of energy as 
the elements within fuse.  The addition explains craters and hot spots which 
are hypothesized to be associated with the density of the NAE sites.
 

 
 
So far there has been no evidence that coupling does not exist between NAE and 
a couple of good examples that suggest that this is happening.  We should seek 
out unusual behavior that does not meet expected performance and attempt to 
explain the discrepancy.  Do you know of any evidence that coupling between 
active regions does not exist?
 

 
 
Dave
 
 
 
-----Original Message-----
 From: mixent <[email protected]>
 To: vortex-l <[email protected]>
 Sent: Sun, Feb 24, 2013 1:59 pm
 Subject: Re: [Vo]:Explaining Cold fusion -IV
 
 
 
In reply to  Edmund Storms's message of Sun, 24 Feb 2013 11:26:37 -0700:
Hi,
[snip]
>You ask several questions at the same time.  The LENR process requires  
>energy to overcome a slight energy barrier present within the overall  
>process. Consequently, it has a positive temperature effect. In other  
>words, some energy is required to initiate each fusion event. Once  
>initiated, each fusion reaction goes on without any more help and  
>releases its energy.  Consequently, the initiation reaction will  
>become faster, the more energy that is applied in any form.  This  
>energy can take the form of increased temperature, laser light, RF or  
>any other source that can couple to the rate limiting reaction.  The  
>important information comes from identifying the rate limiting step so  
>that the extra energy can be applied more effectively. This requires a  
>theory.

At the temperature increases common in LENR experiments, the amount of heat
energy added is only a tiny fraction of an eV. The theory that best matches this
is Hydrinos, because a tiny fraction of an eV is all that is needed to match the
difference in energy between the "energy hole" of Hydrinos, and the "energy
hole" provided by many common catalysts.

Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk

http://rvanspaa.freehostia.com/project.html


 
  
 
 
 
 
 
  
 
 


 

Reply via email to