I see what you refer to and this may be an important piece of the puzzle.  The
main thing that concerns me is that we should be able to see the fast moving
energetic particles outside the material.

Do you recall reports of high energy radiation emerging from the crater type
regions or possibly hot spots?  If these are not measured then we would need an
explanation as to why this is true.

Presently, I am attempting to see if it is possible to define away the problem
by eliminating the high energy particles and replacing them with low energy
ones.   If I recall the video that showed the hot spots was taken with a PdD
system.   Perhaps the high energy alphas would be stopped easily by the
electrolyte and not seen outside of the experiment.  Do you recall the
penetration distance of an alpha under these conditions and is it likely for
them to be produced but not be measured?

The cone shape of the crater fits well into the picture provided the triggering
particle or process is not expected to escape and be detected.  If a kinetic
wave(heat) is the trigger then it would not be expected to escape from the
metal surface so external detection is not an issue.   I am suspicious that
alphas would escape and be seen.

Dave