On Feb 24, 2013, at 6:23 PM, David Roberson wrote:

OK, I think I understand what you are describing after your detailed explanation. Correct me if I am wrong, but it appears as though you are assuming that a random collection of individual events is leading to the crater formation and hot spots. This is a possible cause and might indeed be the final explanation. I see that you are still considering that the energy from each reaction is in the form of photons mainly which can penetrate fairly deeply into the metal. The heat is released when the photons are absorbed at some remote location.

Correct

That is what I remember you stating a few days ago. I countered with a slightly different concept as I was discussing blue sky thinking. I envision that the heat does not appear far removed from the reaction and therefore results in a large elevation to the temperature in the very nearby NAE. On many occasions a random fusion occurs at one of your sites that does not cause adjacent sites to significantly accelerate their activity. The probability of interaction instead is directly related to the density of NAE within the region according to my hypothesis. I see now how this differs from your process since it appears that each of your reactions proceeds slowly and there would not be a large concentration of heat energy to diffuse.

I think we have a combination of what you describe and my description. The photons are absorbed as they move from the source. The greatest heat is produced near the source with the energy release dropping off with distance. Consequently, some local heating will occur where the photon flux is greatest.

Do you think that the heating due to random addition of the events would be sufficient to cause the cratering and hot spots? I am not sure about how many of these random happenings would have to be coincident for the release of sufficient heat energy to form one of those craters.

The melted spots are rare. Most apparent craters are not from this cause, as I said. Most result from deposited impurities.

The appearance reminds me more of an explosion of some sort instead of a simple melting of the material.

Please read:

Nagel, D., Characteristics and Energetics of Craters in LENR Experimental Materials J. Cond. Matter Nucl. Sci. 10. 1-14 (2013)

These craters you describe are from deposition of impurity.

I suspect that a cone type shape does not originate from random melting of a bulk of material although I may be wrong. And the dept of the initial cone tip seems out of range for liquid metal to originate. These are the problems that I encounter when attempting to explain the size and shape of the end products.

You need to consider that several sources of apparent craters are possible.

If you think of the reaction as being a form of chain reaction then the shapes make more sense. There will generally be a single random triggered fusion reaction within the metal. These must be occurring for the device to initially generate excess heat. If, as I suspect, the adjacent NEA sites become triggered themselves then more heat is added to the mix. An interesting observation comes to light. Since the resulting structure has a cone shape, the suggestion becomes that the energy is released in that shape from each reaction. This cone of energy spreads outward from initiation and encounters additional NAE in its path. Many of these become triggered in some manner and the energy from them adds to the resulting cone shaped energy wave. We would need to understand what process could lead to a cone shaped energy release if my hypothesis has any likelihood of success.

David, you are over thinking this process and ignoring much of what has to happen for any melting to occur. Consider that a large number of cracks form in one place. The fusion is then controlled by how fast the D can get to this region, which is determined by temperature and concentration of D in the surrounding PdD. The cracks start to produce energy slowly and the local area heats up, as seen by the flashes measured by Szpak et. al. The local area gets hotter, the D diffuses more rapidly, and the flash rate increases while becoming more intense each time. Finally, the flash creates a local temperature that exceeds the melting point of the alloy on the surface, which has a value significantly below that of Pd. This melting causes a sudden release of gas that blows the liquid away. Yes, the sites interact, but through local temperature and diffusion. Because this local region can be less than a square micron in size, the description has to take the conditions present on this scale into account. On this scale, the surface is very complex.

I need to consider how shaped charges behave to clarify my understanding of how my assumed process proceeds. Someone in vortex my already have that knowledge and their input would be welcome. Should I also look into the path that a high speed projectile takes when it penetrates a solid material? The shockwave emanating from one of these tends to take the form of the craters.

Well Ed, I see that your current theory and my hypothesis do not quite merge together as a whole. If there is a way to speed up your reactions and get them to cooperate with their neighbors then that might become possible.

I see no basic difference. We are only nitpicking about details.

Ed

Dave