Ed, perhaps we are discussing the details in this case, but many times the
details reveal an underlying behavior that offers important clues.  I believe
that I have a good understanding of your assumed mechanism at this time since
you did a good job of describing it.  The hot spot evidence suggests that more
is going on than just simple addition of heat that is released throughout a
wide region due to penetrating radiation.   The effect appears to be much more
focused than what would be expected under those conditions.  Do you have an
estimate of how far a typical X-Ray generated by your mechanism would penetrate
before its energy is deposited?  I can not locate that information in the
reports that you have written, but it is possible that I overlooked it some
how.  I just recall several discussions with Horace about the distance that
relatively low energy gammas would travel and the numbers implied that the heat
would not be correlated to any significant degree around the local NAE in those
cases.  It would take gamma energy of much less than 100 keV to be captured in
the same device.  Ed, what energy level of X-Ray are you anticipating to be
given off by your mechanism as each NAE allows fusion?  We should be able to
take that estimate and figure out the penetration distance.

On the other hand, if you determine that direct local point heating is
generated, then the process that I am envisioning would be active.  This would
happen if for instance a kinetic kick is given to the metal surrounding the
fusing D's and possibly to the Helium formed itself.  Some form of
electromagnetic or mechanical coupling would achieve this result and I suspect
that this is happening.  We tend to speak of this type of process as heat
energy, but it is just local coupling that ends up dissipating in that form.
These types of processes would likely demonstrate directivity since they form
in a Newtonian manner.  There will be equal and opposite reactions when two
bodies interact to conserve momentum and energy.

If it is assumed that there is no overall directed energy released and that it
is indeed random as you imply, then the diffusing heat will propagate away from
each active site in a radially symmetrical manner and influence its neighbors
without a preferred direction.  This does not seem to be what is observed.  In
the crater formations, a conic propagation appears to be in play.  I realize
that these are rare and the hot spots are the main phenomena observed.  The
supposition that gas generated at an interior site is adequate to cause a large
crater to be blown out of the material is not proven and I suspect is not
likely.  Do you have evidence that these conic plugs of blown out material are
being projected at high velocity into the nearby experiment?  It seems far more
likely that the cone of matter is heated to melting by a directed flow of heat
of a conic form and then gently expelled by a moderate amount of internal
pressure.   There is a large difference between these two processes.

Hot spot formation is most likely the main observation that strongly supports
the local heating hypothesis.  Your penetrating radiation theory should not
result in this type of behavior.   The X-Rays would travel too far before
depositing their energy unless you now assume that the X-Rays themselves
directly impact the additional release of energy by nearby NAE.  This has not
been a part of you theory so far, but it would offer some of the desired
characteristics.  These types of penetrating radiation have been known to
initiate nuclear reactions before as in the hydrogen bomb case, so perhaps here
as well.

Also, the lack of X-Rays being detected in the numbers required to explain the
LENR energy release is a big problem.  Any release near the surface of the
metal should result in penetration and external detection.  This is much like
the problem that we all realize is faced by the W&L theory.   I think that any
mechanism that relies upon gammas or X-Rays is going to be hard to justify.  If
you can maneuver your theory to be restricted to the release of radiation that
gets captured quickly such as UV or very low energy X-Rays, then all is well.
This short range local conversion into heat would fit into my hypothesis quite
well.   Then, the high temperature impulses would immediately influence the
nearby NAE.  This close coupling would result in chain reactions and the
corresponding hot spots.

All of the papers that I have read about your theories thus far have
concentrated upon the local, single NAE environment.   That is of the utmost
importance in our obtaining an explanation as to how LENR actually in initiated
and represents an interesting hypothetical process as to the sequence of events
leading to the ultimate goal of fusion.  I have extended that concept to the
system level of behavior with my current hypothesis which can explain the hot
spot as well as cratering phenomena using your individual reactions as a
starting point.  I have brought the density of NAE into the equation in a way
that allows for chain reactions to be explained which was lacking from the
earlier discussions.

I consider this contribution as more than just nitpicking the details.  All of
us need to operate as a team as we attempt to analyze the evidence before us.
If we work together and realize that no one person is the sole innovator and
ultimate source of ideas then the next few years should not be a repeat of the
last decades and LENR will unravel before us.  So, lets all make an attempt to
keep our minds open far enough to accept new ideas from sources beyond
ourselves since it can not be known ahead of time what sparks will ignite a
fire.

Dave