> From: mix...@bigpond.com
> Sent: Thursday, June 6, 2013 2:20:29 PM

> You left out a possibility:- The gas.

I suspect it's pretty thin, relatively speaking , both as a target for futon
absorption (a technical term, laymen don't have to use it [note 1]) and heat
capacity  (specific heat * mass). I think it's NAE-to-steel by futon, and then
steel-to-nickel by radiation.

I'm not sure that NAE-to-H by futon, and H-to-Ni by conduction would be much
different. It's a constant-temperature thermal bath either way.  A peek into
the tube of the Penon version is equivalent to looking into the central cavity,
which is in thermal equilibrium.

I think that NAE-futon-Ni will make the Ni to hot. It may happen accidentally
(OCCASIONAL craters seen on SEM's) but it's not the norm.

ps I misread my own plot -- a 500C output has a 510C center --- except that I
think that my thermal resistivity for ceramic is WAY too  low --  The Penon
picture shows the center red hot and the outside black. (Could be an emissivity
difference too).

[note 1] : From an ABC weatherperson. It's my current favorite phrase.